Alumni branching out
We wish mazal tov to a number of alumni who have been elected to various positions on important communal organisation committees this year:
- Nadia Coburn (Class of 2017) is president of Australian Union of Jewish Students(AUJS) NSW, the representative body for Jewish university students in the NSW region; participant in the NSWJBD 2020 Jeremy Spinak Young Leaders program
- Miki (Mikayla) Sacks (Class of 2017) holds the position of Secretary, AUJS NSW
- Sean Torban (Class of 2018) is Campaign and Education Officer, AUJS NSW. He also volunteers for Head Space an Australian non-profit organisation for youth mental health established by the Australian Government in 2006. NSW Department of Health recently featured an interview with Sean. He is founder of Talking Holocaust aimed at capturing the hundreds of stories of survivors to ensure they are never forgotten.
- Joshua Moses (Class of 2011) was elected to the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies (NSWJBD) as chair of the Education Committee and is also a member of the Community Relations Committee.
- Julia Sussman (Class of 2014) is the youngest ever person elected to the NSWJBD where she holds the position of ‘Ordinary Director’. She is co-founder of Youth HEAR (Holocaust Education And Remembrance), an organisation launched in 2018 dedicated to bridging the gap between Australian youth and the memory and awareness of the Shoah.
- Jonathan Eales (Class of 2007) was elected for his third term as a member of NSWJBD and is a participant in the 2020 Jeremy Spinak Young Leaders program.
- Chloe Corne (Class of 2018) is a participant in the 2020 Jeremy Spinak program; Macquarie University AUJS Vice- President 2020 and a committee member for the NSWJBD Community Engagement Working Party. She is also the AJUS National Jewish Engagement Co-ordinator for 2021.